Sunday, July 30, 2023

RIP Twitter

 I used to love Twitter. Genuinely, I used to LOVE Twitter. I had a wonderful, rollicking good time with a stilly crew of "Social Thursday" buddies from around the world. Things went sour eventually, but I look on the Twitter era with the fondness that most people have for high school or their fraternity. Probably wasn't really good for me, and it was often immature and stupid, but I loved it.

And the narcissistic idiot who owns it has now, fully and entirely, killed it for me. 

If I ever get obscenely wealthy, I swear that I will hire someone whose entire job is to tell me I am full of shit. Regularly. 

Even apart from the really unforgivable embrace of Nazis and other dudebro racists, who, with even half a brain, renames something "X"? 

I've been saddened and frustrated that the only truly important skill in the world has become marketing. Donald Trump, another immature, insecure sociopath, marketed himself as a business genius and managed to become president, FFS. And Elon Musk branded and marketed himself relentlessly as a genius, even though he's evidently a total moron. He convinced people that he is a technological genius when his only undergraduate degree is in economics. He's not a physicist. He may have bought a physics degree from UPenn. And without anyone to tell him that he has drunk his own Kool-Ade, he has run completely amok, destroying one of the most recognizable brands in social media in a matter of months in order to suck his own dick and promote alt-right accounts. 

Goodbye, Twitter. It was a thing while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Motherfucking Medical Insurance

We had no choice of insurers when my husband started his new job. It was Cigna or go pound sand. We have Cigna with a high deductible plan. ...